Monday, June 18, 2012

Couscous, Watermelon, Goat Cheese and Mint Salad

I have a hard time following recipes. I found this recipe a few months ago for a watermelon salad that sounded light and refreshing. And when my mom gave me half of a watermelon, this was the first thing I thought about making with it.

So flash ahead to Saturday and I am at the food store picking up the cheese for this dish. I knew that it called for feta, but when I saw crumbled goat cheese, my hand just gravitated towards that instead.

And being lazy, I also didn't feel like soaking and cooking quinoa so I substituted it for couscous.

And I knew that I was making pesto for dinner on Sunday, and I didn't want to use up my entire basil plant, so I plucked leaves from my overflowing mint plant.

So my version of the feta, basil, watermelon and quinoa salad turned into goat cheese, mint, watermelon and couscous. At least I kept one thing of the recipe the same.



Couscous, Watermelon, Goat Cheese and Mint Salad

1 c. cooked couscous

1 1/2 c. chopped watermelon

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1 tsp. honey

2/3 c. crumbled goat cheese

handful of mint leaves, chiffonade

Cook your coscous to the directions on the package and allow to cool.

In a large bowl put your watermelon and sprinkle salt, pepper and honey and toss and let sit for about 5 minutes to allow the juices to mingle. Combine couscous, goat cheese and mint and allow to chill for about a half hour. Enjoy!

I served the salad with grilled chicken sprinkled with fresh lemon pepper seasoning.



No comments:

Post a Comment