Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pumpkin Gnocchi with Fancy Creamy Sauce

With all of the cooking we did over the weekend, I made a batch of pumpkin gnocchi to freeze for later, for a dish I saw that combined the gnocchi with a Crème Fraîche–Sage Sauce.  


Crème Fraîche is a fancy French word for a less sour, sour cream (and a little thinner). It is sometimes hard to find in the food store, unless you try a specialty store, and it is a little more costly.

You can easily make your own crème fraîche at home with one cup heavy cream and two tablespoons buttermilk and let it sit out overnight in a warmer, dry space. Once it has sat and thickened, store it in the fridge. Crème fraîche can also be used in dessert in place of whipped cream, or a bit on top of a creamy soup.

Since I didn't buy buttermilk (let alone have it sit out overnight in the heavy cream), I made a mock crème fraîche with heavy cream and a little bit of Fage Greek Yogurt, since that is what I had on hand. You could also do it with heavy cream and sour cream. I also heard of people using heavy cream and cream of tartar, but I haven't tried that technique.

When I was making the pumpkin gnocchi's , I also added about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to add to the fall flavors with the pumpkin.





No comments:

Post a Comment